The Digital Lab Africa call for projects #2 is now open until February 25th!
The objective of Digital Lab Africa is to provide a springboard for African talent in multimedia creation and to make their project happen with the support of French & Sub-Saharan African leading companies (studios, producers, broadcasters, distributors, experts).
DLA call for projects targets artists, producers, designers, start-ups, students in the media and creative industries. The call is open to any professional or individual from Sub-Saharan Africa having an innovative project in 5 categories of multimedia production: WEB CREATION, VIRTUAL REALITY, VIDEO GAME, ANIMATION and DIGITAL MUSIC.
Digital Lab Africa is looking for projects at initial stage of development, in need of partners and financial support and innovative in terms of narration, content or technologies.
- Web Creation: this category targets all audio-visual material produced to be viewed online (first digital content) in a non-linear way. Projects that aim to attract an audience engage with it and retain it, and that can be formatted into episodes or thematic channels will be considered first. One-time broadcasts/TV specials are excluded from the web creation category.
Examples: fiction, documentary, reality shows, news, sport, entertainment, talk shows, debates, TV formats and magazine programmes (food, environment, lifestyle, culture, comedy, educational).
Transmedia: all content produced for the web which combines several media and offers an innovative way of telling stories (new formats of writing/narrative). Projects with an international focus which offer an original experience to the public, irrespective of the genre – fiction, documentary, magazine, entertainment, news…will be considered first.
Examples: an interactive web documentary, or a web series including a participative element (involvement of the public via an app, a chat, social media, video game…).
- Virtual Reality: The virtual reality category is open to any content which offers an immersive experience to the public, on any type of support (computer, tablet, smartphone and virtual reality headset), using virtual reality technologies, augmented reality, mixed reality, 360° video, and 3D interactions.
Examples: journalism report, fiction or documentary movie, musical clip, museum visit, video game…
- Video Game: the video game category is open to all prototypes/concepts of video game for mobile application or full screen.
Examples: action, strategy game, a game which aim to inform, train or educate.
- Digital Music: the digital music category is open to all projects which offer an innovative and enriching user experience using multimedia tools, solutions and content, based on one or several African artists, musical genres or African territories.
Example: creating an app offering a multimedia world and an interactive community around an artist.
- Animation: the Animation category is open to all projects/content which mainly use animation technics (2D, 3D, paper, film, sand, modeling clay, painting, figurine etc).
Examples: an animated short film, an animated web-series, an animated comic, an animated application, etc.
HOW TO APPLY?
1/ Download the call for projects presentation and rules
2/ Complete the online form
3/ Email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Presentation document of the project (Pitch Deck) including description, graphical/visual elements, solutions/technologies, screenplay, target audience, projected budget, business plan, production schedule (5 to 8 pages maximum).
- A beta version / preview / pilot or demo of the project (if available)
- A resume of the applicant/ description of the company represented (max 300 words).
- A picture (.jpeg) of the applicant
Applicants can submit several projects (one form per project)
Deadline: 25 February 2018
For any question: email@example.com
WHAT TO WIN?
The platform will allow creative multimedia projects to come to light with the support of French and Sub-Saharan African partners like Lagardère Studios, ARTE or Triggerfish Animation.
Selected applicants will take part in a Pitch Competition. The winning projects win a 3,000 € cash prize and a Digital Lab Africa Incubation Pass to support the project development.
The DLA project incubation includes mentorship and project development support by French and Sub-Saharan African partners for each category. Additionally, the Incubation Pass comprises residence time in France within digital cluster and participation in benchmark multimedia events. The expected outcome of Digital Lab Africa is market ready content/productions showcasing African creativity.